We’ve successfully migrated all the emails from Google Groups to the ODK Forum at https://forum.opendatakit.org. Join us there!
Remind me again, why are we moving from Google Groups?
The ODK community has gotten quite large and the Google Groups mailing lists were getting too chatty and disorganized. Discourse, the platform running the forum, lets us have deeper, specialized conversations without emailing everybody. It also supports features like voting, marking answers as correct, rich search, a great mobile experience, and emoji!
How do I create my account and claim my old emails/posts?
An account has already been created for the email address that you used to email/post on the ODK Community and ODK Developer lists. To claim your account and get access to your old emails/posts:
- Go to https://forum.opendatakit.org and click on ‘Log In’ in the upper right hand of your screen.
- Click on ‘I forgot my password’ and enter your email address. Remember, it must be the same address you used to sign up for this mailing list!
- You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click that link and enter your new password.
I’m logged into my account. Now what?
Awesome! You’ve gotten through the hardest part. Now the fun begins:
- If you are not happy with the default username, change it now in Preferences. You will not be able to change it later!
- Take a moment to introduce yourself here
- Read the category descriptions to see the various places you can post.
- If you have questions or comments about this site, post it in the meta category.
But what if I like using email?
Once you have claimed your account, you can go to ‘Preferences’ and ‘Enable mailing list’ mode. All messages posted to the forum will be sent to you and you will be able to reply through email. If you’d like, you can also mute certain categories so you don’t receive messages from them.
I need help with the transition!
If you are able to post, post your questions in the meta category. If you are not able to post, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be glad to help!
One more thing…
This migration would not have been possible without these kind and thoughtful people below. From everyone in the ODK community, thank you!
- Marcus Baw for writing many of the scripts we used in the migration
- Mike Kuzma for his diligence in testing those scripts
- Robby O’Connor for his Discourse dev-ops help
- Michael Downey for his ongoing feedback
Thanks for your patience during this migration, and see you at https://forum.opendatakit.org!