The documentation on this page corresponds to rev 126 (February 2015) of the tools suite. See Older Versions for documentation on earlier releases of this suite.
ODK Scan update rev 127 (June 2015) is an update of this APK that is designed to work with the rev 126 (February 2015) tools suite. This update is designated Alpha software.
See Release Designations for the meaning of this designation.
App Overview and Future Roadmap
For more information on ODK Scan use cases and recommendations for future development, please see the ODK Scan Use Case and Recommendations Report by VillageReach, Open Data Kit's partner on this project. You can find the report here.
Introduction to ODK Scan
ODK Scan is an Android application that uses the device’s camera and specialized code to automatically digitize written data from paper forms. Using the app, users take pictures of paper forms and ODK Scan detects and collects the fill-in bubble, checkbox, and written number data. It also saves image snippets of handwritten text and displays them on the screen for easy data entry. The digitized data can then be validated, exported, saved into a database, and used for custom data reports. This workflow from paper form to digital database occurs in five processes and is supported through the use of ODK suite tools:
ODK Scan is designed for use on an Android device version 4.4 or newer, though 5.0 and above are not yet fully supported. To use ODK Scan, you will need to install ODK Scan, ODK Survey, ODK Tables, and ODK Sync. Currently these apps are all in beta or alpha stages. The ODK Form Designer is a web-based design tool created specifically for use in the ODK Scan workflow and can be accessed here: ODK Scan Form Designer. See below for a use scenario walkthrough of ODK Scan in use. Continue on to the ODK Scan Form Designer information page to learn more about creating custom forms for use with the ODK Scan app. For more information on processing completed forms see ODK Scan App Guide.
Downloading and Installing Scan
To install the Alpha-1, you must enable downloading from unknown sources by checking the checkbox beside Unknown sources on the Security screen of your Android device's Settings application.
Then, open your Android device's browser and download the ODK Scan v2.0 Alpha-1 update rev 127 APK from here. Click on the ODK Scan v2.0 Alpha-1 update rev 127 APK link on that page and download the actual ODK Scan APK. The rev 127 APK is designed to work with the rev 126 tools suite.
You should then be able to install that APK onto your device by choosing the Android Notification of the completion of the download. On some devices, you may need to open a file manager and double-tap on the downloaded file in the Downloads directory to trigger the install. On others, you may need to rename the file in the Downloads directory to end with .apk before double-tapping it to trigger the install.
ODK Scan Use Scenario:
Your team has a maternal health questionnaire you wish to distribute to 100 households.
0. Determine what data you need to collect (e.g. Village name, number of children in household, methods of contraception used).
1. Use the online ODK Scan Form Designer to create a form with the appropriate fields. This designer specifies machine-readable areas on the form that will allow the ODK Scan App to automatically digitize the written data. Print the form in hardcopy and export the electronic file to your Android device.
2. Distribute forms to the households for completion.
3. Use the ODK Scan App to take pictures of the completed forms. The app will automatically digitize the fill-in bubble, checkbox, and number data (e.g. select all methods of contraception used, number of children in household) from the form and will grab image snippets of text data (e.g. village name).
4. ODK Scan will automatically send all the data to ODK Survey where you will review, edit, and validate it.
5. Save the data as complete and export it into the ODK Tables database for further data comparison or processing.